Wednesday 1 October 2008

Light at the end of the tunnel. Twice, in 2 days!

Following on from my success in Braunston tunnel on Monday, I continued my journey yesterday from Norton junction, up through the staircase locks at Watford, and then on through the 1528yd tunnel to Crick.

The journey up the Watford locks wasn't the most pleasant. I had a brief wait to allow another boat down the flight before I could begin my ascent, and then the heavens opened leaving me to work up the locks in the tipping rain. By the time I reached the summit I was more than ready to go inside and make a warm cuppa, but with time and daylight against me decided instead to push on to Crick.

Given that my torch ran out of power in Braunston, I was more than aware that the same would happen in Crick tunnel but decided to go for it regardless. This time, I didn't brush the tunnel walls once - an achievement, considering that it was this very tunnel that had destroyed the corner of my cratch cover last time I passed through and had contributed significantly to my somewhat-irrational tunnel phobia.

There are now only 158 miles and 89 locks to go, and the only tunnels left are relatively short in comparison to the two which I have just completed. Hopefully the tides and weather will be in my favour. The forecast still doesn't look promising, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments: