Thursday 9 April 2009

Life, the universe and stuff

First off, apologies for not posting in ages. Again. Since moving to Sheffield, I seem to have less time free to update my blog...

I have now moved my boat out of Victoria Quays aka Sheffield Basin - a shame, but a blessing at the same time. The moorings in the basin are great, but unfortunately the evenings becoming lighter seem to encourage the local mischief, and the few weeks before I left saw an increase in car crime, boats being untied, possessions thrown in the water etc. The local constabulary reassured us that PCSOs were patrolling the area, but I no longer felt safe there so it was time to leave.

My new mooring has security gates, and a friendly feel about it. It's a tram-ride away from the city centre, but the other boaters seem a nice bunch and the boat club there serves good beer! Always a plus ;) The local ducks have taken to laying eggs in my neighbour's plant pots too...I like free food....

Boaty herself is still unwell, engine is officially declared dead with unknown compression problems. Parts for the existing pre-1991 engine are scarce, and having them shipped over from Isuzu in Japan isn't cheap, so I have decided to cut my losses and ordered a brand new Betamarine 38hp engine, due to be fitted in May. This will give me more power for the rivers etc, and comes with a reassuring warranty which should provide at least a few years of hassle-free cruising.

The new job and boyfriend are all going very well, and aside from the engine issues I am very happy. If all goes to plan, we will be exploring the North-Yorkshire canals by boat this summer.

Fingers crossed,
B
x

No comments: