Friday 28 March 2008

Grandma's legendary fruit cake

According to the crew of Opposite Lock (sister ship), my Grandma makes the best fruit cake in the world. Every time I see her, I am presented with one of these little beauties, wrapped lovingly in traditional brown greaseproof paper and kitchen foil. Myself, I'm not really a fruitcake lover even, but this stuff is magical.

I'm posting the recipe before I lose / misplace it. I am informed that Grandma's teacups measure about 7.5 fluid ounces....probably best to find one the same size of the results may not be as desired! Yes, I know the measurements are all old-school metric, but they're staying that way. Because that's how Grandma makes it.

1 lb mixed dried fruit
8 oz chopped cherries
2 teacups sugar
8 oz butter
2 teacups water

Mix all of the above together in a big pan, bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Leave to cool (best overnight, if you can wait that long).

Add 4 teacups of Self Raising flour and 2 eggs.
Line two 2 lb loaf tins with greaseproof paper. Bake for two and a half hours. Gas mark 2 (150 degrees C).

Legendary!

No comments: